Saturday, May 26, 2007

Catching up with me in Britain








I finally made it into an internet cafe. While I wait for my pictures to download I will write a quick note. Friday afternoon Katie and I braved the underground and went to Trafalager Square. Then she dragged me through the National Gallery (to keep me moving until around 10pm). We did see some amazing art. I have to admit though that once or twice I do believe that I was dozing on my feet.
After we saw everything in the Gallery we walked along down to Westminster Abbey and Big Ben. Passing the Parliament Building along the way. We took a few pictures (or more then a few) and then crossed the Westminster Bridge, walked along the waterfront to the Jubilee Bridge. We eventually made our way back to the Hotel and had some dinner. I FINALLY got to go to bed and slept straight through like a rock until 9am.
Saturday morning we went to the Portabello Market. Now that is a crowded place on a Saturday morning. There were so many venders and wares and not anywhere near enough time to see it all. I did get a mini lesson on how to draw a celtic design from a neat older man who was selling celtic stamps. Not that I bought one though, they were fairly expensive. After we had had all the crowd we could take we hopped on the subway to go to the British Library. We got to see some pretty amazing things there, and the best part is that it was free. We saw some old illuminated bibles, some papyrus manuscripts, and the Gutenberg Bible. Then we went to the music section and were able to see some original copies of so many composers. Handel, Beethoven, Mozart, Gilbert and Sullivan and many others.
We then rushed back to the hotel and changed to go to a performance of Wicked. The story of the Wicked Witch of the West from the story of Oz. It was really fun and I was actually given a student price ticket along with Katie and Sonia even though I told them I was not a student. It was a really fun show and the music was great.
Sunday morning we headed off to St. Paul's Cathedral for church. We ended up in seats directly under the dome and just to the right of the choir. There were times when you could hear a pin drop in there. The sound of the choir was magnificent and the cathedral itself was astounding. It was really beautiful and yet I can understand more fully why the puritans were so fanatical about simplicity. After the service we headed to the British Museum. At least we tried to. It was a little more complicated to get to then we had anticipated. We eventually found it and had time to run upstairs, find the Rosetta Stone and run back out again. We made it to Westminster Abbey only about 5 minutes late for the Evensong. Once again we got to see the inside of an amazing cathedral and to hear gorgeous music. After we got out of there katie and I decided to explore Harrod's. Now if you ever want to feel rather poor take a wander through there. There was one handbag that would be around $2000! Amazing that people will pay prices like that. When we decided that we had had enough of it we headed back to the hotel via a walk through Kensington/ Hyde Park.
I am running out of time so I will have to tell about the rest of my time at another time.

3 comments:

Carl said...

I am so impressed. Can't wait to see your pictures.
How's the food?

Stephen, Jessica, Ella and Lukas King said...

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU WENT TO SEE WICKED!!! i am green with envy (just like elphaba haha). i am so jealous right now i am ALMOST speechless. grrrrr. i'm glad you're having a fun time though. stephen and i just got back from LA this morning after driving thru the night so we are off to bed. we slept a bit today but not TOO much or we'd never get to sleep tonight. i love you! keep writing (as often as time allows that is).

Suzanne Hoselton said...

Sounds like you are having lots of BUSY fun, with Katie dragging you around town! Wish your trip there was less hectic for you, but at least you arrived, along with your luggage, alright.

You can congratulate me on a new son! Owen Henry was born this past Saturday morning. He is sooo cute! Faith came to visit me for a bit while I was in the hospital--that was nice...I was a bit out of it, very tired since I had to do all that hard labor without any sleep the night before! Yick--I don't recommend that.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy yourself immensely over there. I will look forward to more posts and all the pictures, and tales, you will have when you get back home.